Central Area Trips & Excursions
- The Central Area Trips Program offers two convenient locations to meet the bus: Lake Arbor Community Center, 10100 Lake Arbor Way, Mitchellville and Bowie Community Center, 3209 Stonybrook Drive, Bowie.
- Trips are self-sustaining; therefore, refunds for trips can be made only if your place is filled or the trip is cancelled. Medical reasons cannot be used for refunds unless your spot is filled. The Central Area Trip Coordinator must approve all refunds.
- Trips depend on sufficient registration; specific registration deadlines may apply.
- Due to the full tour itinerary, stamina, independence and self-care are necessary. Participant must be able to maintain group pace.
- Registration for the summer Trips & Excursions begins Monday, May 12 for Prince George's County residents and Monday, May 19 for Montgomery County residents and non-residents.
- Note: Montgomery County residents pay the "resident" fee for all trips
- Note: Touch-tone telephone registration is no longer available
- Please register via SMARTlink at www.pgparks.com (available 24/day from 7 am on the first day of registration) or in-person at any staffed Facility beginning at 9 am
SPRING 2014 TRIP DESTINATIONS
WednesDAy, May 14, 2014
DEPARTS: 6:30 AM; RETURNS 10 PM
Broadway: A Raisin in the Sun
We are New York bound once again to see the Broadway performance of A Raisin in the Sun starring Denzel Washington and Diahann Carroll! You won't want to miss this heart-wrenching family drama by playwright Lorraine Hansberry which originally appeared on Broadway in 1959 starring the legendary Sidney Poitier. Follow the story of Walter and the Younger family and the troubles which befall them when his mother inherits a large amount of money. A full course lunch is included prior to the show at the Glass House Tavern, just across the street from the theatre. Fee includes transportation, lunch and orchestra seating for the 2pm matinee performance.
Resident: $273; Non-Resident: $327
Ages 18 & up
WednesDAy, JUNE 25, 2014: JUST ADDED!
DEPARTS: 7 AM; RETURNS 10:30 PM
Harrriet Tubman Underground Railway Tour
Join us on this guided narrative tour commemorating the life and birthplace of Harriet Tubman.Take a portion of the new, scenic driving tour along the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway featuring historically significant sites in and around Dorchester and Caroline Counties, Maryland. Lunch is included in downtown Cambridge, Maryland with time to visit the Harriet Tubman Museum. At the conclusion of the tour we will take a dinner cruise along the Choptank River departing from Suicide Bridge Restaurant. Fee includes transportation, lunch, guided tour and dinner cruise.
Resident: $125; Non-Resident: $150
Ages 18 & up
SUMMER 2014 TRIP DESTINATIONS
REGISTRATION OPENS MAY 12 FOR PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY RESIDENTS;
MAY 19 FOR ALL OTHERS.
WednesDAy, JULY 16, 2014
DEPARTS: 8:30 AM; RETURNS 6:30 PM
BAY CRUISE: ANNAPOLIS TO ST. MICHAELS
Nothing says summer like a cruise on the Chesapeake Bay, an all-you-can-eat crab feast and exploring the shops and sights in St. Michaels! We'll board the climate-controlled and open upper deck boat at Annapolis City Dock. Then we'll set sail for a 2-hour cruise across the bay to St. Michaels. Upon arrival, enjoy a crab feast on the outdoor, covered deck of the Crab Claw Restaurant featuring water views. Afterwards, explore the town at your leisure before the return cruise to Annapolis. NOTE: There is considerable walking required from the dock at St. Michaels to the main street shops, etc. Fee includes transportation, round trip bay cruise, admission to the Chesapeake Maritime Museum and Crab Feast.
Resident: $145; Non-Resident: $174
Ages 18 & up
FRIDAy, August 15, 2014
DEPARTS: 7:30 AM; RETURNS 10:30 PM
WESTERN MARYLAND SCENIC RAILROAD & ROCKY GAP RESORT
Head to the mountain side of Maryland to enjoy the scenery, ride the rails and enjoy the amenities at nearby Rocky Gap Resort. We'll stop at the Blue Goose Fruit Market & Bakery in Hancock to shop or grab a snack. Next stop is Cumberland where we'll board the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad for an afternoon excursion, in a climate-controlled coach, through the mountain pass to Frostburg and back. A box lunch will be served on the train. During the layover, visit the Thrasher Carriage Museum, watch the roundtable in action as it redirects the locomotive or visit the shops along Main Street. Then it's off to Rocky Gap Resort for casino fun, exploring the adjacent lakeshore park and dinner at the Lakeside Restaurant. NOTE: Access to Main Street in Frostburg during the layover requires walking up a steep flight of steps. Fee includes transportation, railroad excursion with boxed lunch, casino incentives at Rocky Gap Resort and Surf and Turf buffet dinner at Lakeside Restaurant.
Resident: $115; Non-Resident: $138
Ages 21 & up
SaturDAy, SEPTEMBER 13, 2014
DEPARTS: 7:30 AM; RETURNS 6:30 PM
FALL DOO WOP: AMERICAN MUSIC THEATRE
Back by popular demand, it's time for a stroll down memory lane at the Fall Doo Wop Cavalcade in Lancaster. The show features performances by Frankie Lymon's Teenagers, the Devotions, Lou Christie, The Elegants and many more! Prior to the show we'll visit the Shady Maple complex featuring a farm market, extensive gift shop and country home furniture. Enjoy a delicious smorgasbord lunch at Shady Maple Restaurant featuring one of the biggest food station selections in the area! Fee includes transportation, lunch and mezzanine seating for the 2 pm matinee.
Resident: $105; Non-Resident: $126
Ages 18 & up