Central Area Trips & Excursions
- The Central Area Trips Program offers two convenient locations to meet the bus: Lake Arbor Community Center, 10100 Lake Arbor Way, Mitchellville and Bowie Community Center, 3209 Stonybrook Drive, Bowie.
- Trips are self-sustaining; therefore, refunds for trips can be made only if your place is filled or the trip is cancelled. Medical reasons cannot be used for refunds unless your spot is filled. The Central Area Trip Coordinator must approve all refunds.
- Trips depend on sufficient registration; specific registration deadlines may apply.
- Due to the full tour itinerary, stamina, independence and self-care are necessary. Participant must be able to maintain group pace.
- Registration for the spring Trips & Excursions begins Monday, February 10 for Prince George's County residents and Tuesday, February 18 for Montgomery County residents and non-residents.
- Note: Montgomery County residents pay the "resident" fee for all trips
- Note: Touch-tone telephone registration is no longer available
- Please register via SMARTlink at www.pgparks.com (available 24/day from 7 am on the first day of registration) or in-person at any staffed Facility beginning at 9 am
SPRING 2014 TRIP DESTINATIONS
WednesDAy, MARCH 19, 2014 : CANCELLED!
DEPARTS: 10 AM; RETURNS 5 PM
SPAGnVOLA: Chocolate Making Class
We are staying local on this trip to Gaithersburg, Maryland for a private tour and Chocolate Making Class. Enjoy lunch prior to the tour but skip desert and learn how to make your own sweat treat! Take a 20 minute comprehensive tour of the "Truffle Factory" to get a behind the scenes lesson on the origin and making of Spagnvola cacao and enjoy samples too! Then it's time to test your own skills during the Chocolate Making 101 Class. Fee includes transportation, guided tour chocolate making class and lunch.
Resident: $115; Non-Resident: $138
Ages 18 & up
ThURSDAy, APRIL 24, 2014 : NEW DATE!
DEPARTS: 7 AM; RETURNS 9:30 PM
Civil War History Tour, Gettysburg, PA
On the heels of the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg Address we will take to the battlefields and explore the Civil War history Gettysburg has to offer. The itinerary includes the Cyclorama, films and exhibits at the Visitors Center, a 3-hour narrated driving tour of the Battlefields including historic Gettysburg National Cemetery. We will take a tour of the David Wills House, where President Lincoln stayed the night before he delivered the Gettysburg Address. Lunch is on your own at the Refreshment Saloon in the Visitors Center. Dinner will be hosted at Historic Farnsworth House in downtown Gettysburg. (Fee includes transportation, Visitors Center admission, narrated driving tour of the Battlefields, tour of the David Wills House and buffet dinner. Lunch is on your own!)
Resident: $95; Non-Resident: $114
Ages 18 & up
WednesDAy, May 14, 2014
DEPARTS: 6:30 AM; RETURNS 10 PM
Broadway: A Raisin in the Sun
We are New York bound once again to see the Broadway performance of A Raisin in the Sun starring Denzel Washington and Diahann Carroll! You won't want to miss this heart-wrenching family drama by playwright Lorraine Hansberry which originally appeared on Broadway in 1959 starring the legendary Sidney Poitier. Follow the story of Walter and the Younger family and the troubles which befall them when his mother inherits a large amount of money. A full course lunch is included prior to the show at the Glass House Tavern, just across the street from the theatre. (Fee includes transportation, lunch and orchestra seating for the 2pm matinee performance.)
Resident: $273; Non-Resident: $327
Ages 18 & up
WednesDAy, JUNE 25, 2014 : JUST ADDED!
DEPARTS: 7:00 AM; RETURNS 10:30 PM
Harrriet Tubman Underground Railway Tour
Join us on this guided narrative tour commemorating the life and birthplace of Harriet Tubman.Take a portion of the new, scenic driving tour along the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway featuring historically significant sites in and around Dorchester and Caroline Counties, Maryland. Lunch is included in downtown Cambridge, Maryland with time to visit the Harriet Tubman Museum. At the conclusion of the tour we will take a dinner cruise along the Choptank River departing from Suicide Bridge Restaurant. (Fee includes transportation, lunch, guided tour and dinner cruise.)
Resident: $125; Non-Resident: $150
Ages 18 & up