Inclusion ServicesThe Department of Parks and Recreation encourages and supports the participation of individuals with disabilities in all programs and services. To facilitate opportunities for people with and without disabilities to engage in leisure pursuits together, the Department of Parks and Recreation provides inclusion support services. These services include, but are not limited to, the provision of support staff, sign language interpreters, assistive listening devices, and adapted equipment. To ensure the requested accommodation, please notify the specific facility where the program is provided at least two weeks in advance for accommodations (i.e. support staff). Direct specific questions regarding individual facilities' accessibility features to 301-446-3400; TTY 301-446-3402. See how inclusion services is making a difference in the lives of our county residents.
What is inclusion? Inclusion
within the Prince George's County Department of Parks and Recreation
means that individuals with disabilities are welcome to participate in
the same recreation programs and activities as their non-disabled
peers. Reasonable accommodations are provided to enable an individual's
successful participation in a program. Some minimum eligibility
requirements (age, level of participation) must be met in order to
What are some examples of reasonable accommodations available to promote successful participation in a program?
- Ongoing training provided for inclusion support staff.
- An enhanced staff/participant ratio (two weeks advance notice).
- Sign interpretation for the deaf and hard of hearing.
- Adaptive activity equipment and/or supplies.
- Find out more about our Water Wheelchair
- Find out more about our Accessible Golf Cart
transportation is provided with two weeks advance notice when
transportation is provided as part of an activity or program.
- Assistance in the provision of health services, which do not require medical training.
What are the minimum requirements for successful inclusion?
same minimum requirements which apply to a person without a disability
also apply to a person with a disability. These include:
- Meeting the age and registration requirements of the program.
- Following the rules of conduct (with or without reasonable accommodation).
participation: recreation programs and activities are voluntary in
nature. Participation will be encouraged and aided, but not forced.
of participation: with or without reasonable accommodations, the
participant will engage in scheduled activities for the majority of the
- Ability to use a consistent form of communication to indicate basic needs and follow simple directions.
- Ability to tolerate and function, with assistance, as a member of a larger social group (12 or more people).
What services are not parts of an inclusive program? Inclusion services do not include the following:
- Provision of a separate area or alternate activities for a significant portion (more than 25%) of the scheduled program.
to minimum compliance with the program's rules and regulations, with or
without accommodations, established for the safety of all program
participants and staff.
- Hiring, selection, or guaranteed assignment of a specific staff member.
- Individualized therapy within a program.
- Provision and/or purchase of personal custom devices.
inclusion support staff may be provided to enhance the existing
recreation program by providing adaptations, behavioral interventions,
and some personal assistance which program leaders are unable to offer.
Is an inclusive recreation program the right choice and/or experience for me? Observe the program first-hand and ask yourself these questions...
- Does you or your child's current activities or goals prepare you for an inclusive recreation experience?
- Have you or your child shown an interest in the program activity or subject matter?
you comfortable and able to function appropriately, with or without
assistance, in inclusive environments (malls, restaurants, parks,
Click. Pick. Play.
Register for a class, camp,
trip or program.
ADA Accessibility Policies