Please check the home page of www.pgparks.com, view Facebook and Twitter postings from the Department of Parks and Recreation, or listen to local radio or television stations for emergency weather notices. Updates on the status of permitted M-NCPPC athletic fields and sports facilities in Prince George’s County will be available by calling the Department of Parks and Recreation Sports Weather Line at 301-927-0822.The safety of our patrons is important to us, and we will make every effort to keep you informed of facility closures and program cancellations due to weather.
County Government Closed
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission will not operate when Prince George's County government is officially closed.
When adverse weather conditions cause the closing of Prince George's County public schools, M-NCPPC community centers remain open; however, Kids' Care (School-Aged Child Care and Pre-School programs) will be closed.
Delayed School Opening
There will be no morning Pre-School when Prince George's County public schools have a delayed opening. Kids' Care morning sessions will open as scheduled. Call your M-NCPPC community center for the status of other programs and classes that are scheduled during delayed opening hours.
Early School Dismissal
When Prince George's County public schools are dismissed early, Kids' Care (School-Aged Child Care) parents will be notified of the early school closings and must arrange for pickup at the Kids' Care site within one hour following notification.
Ball Field Cancellations (Games and Practices)
- Games or practices may be cancelled due to unsafe field conditions, hazardous weather conditions, or coaches’ unavailability.
- Coaches must call the Department of Parks and Recreation Sports Weather Line at 301-927-0822 to obtain the status of programs. The recorded message is updated by 7 am on weekends and 3 pm on weekdays, or in the event of changing weather conditions.
- Do not use the fields in wet conditions, even if you have a field permit.
- Fields are closed based on the recommendation of Department of Parks and Recreation maintenance staff. Closures apply to both practices and games.
Gymnasium Cancellations (Games and Practices)
In the event of inclement weather, basketball and other sports leagues will operate under the M-NCPPC Department of Parks and Recreation closure policy. Games will be cancelled only if community centers are closed. If Prince George’s County public schools are closed or dismissed early or after-school activities are suspended, Department of Parks and Recreation programs taking place in schools may be affected.
- It is the coach’s responsibility to call the Department of Parks and Recreation Sports Weather Line at 301-927-0822 to learn the status of games. If the games are cancelled, coaches are to notify their players/parents.