The safety of our customers is important to us, and we make every effort to keep you informed of facility closures and program cancellations due to weather.
Sign up to receive PGParks Alerts by text or e-mail, view announcements on Facebook
and Twitter, or listen to local television stations for emergency weather notices.
If you have rented a facility, you are NOT typically affected by general program cancellations due to inclement weather. However, severe weather may impact facility availability; please call ahead to your rental site.
County Government Closed
- When adverse weather conditions cause the closing of Prince George's County public schools, M-NCPPC community centers remain open; however, Kids' Care (School-Aged Child Care and Pre-School programs) will be closed.
Delayed School Opening
- There will be no morning Pre-School or Morning Care when Prince George's County public schools have a delayed opening. Call your M-NCPPC community center for the status of other programs and classes that are scheduled during delayed opening hours.
Early School Dismissal
- When Prince George's County public schools are dismissed early, Kids' Care (School-Aged Child Care) parents will be notified and must arrange for pickup at the Kids' Care site within one hour.
Ball Field Cancellations (Games and Practices)
- Games or practices may be cancelled due to unsafe field conditions, hazardous weather conditions, or coaches’ unavailability.
- Coaches must call the Sports Weather Line at 301-927-0822 to obtain the status of programs. The recorded message is updated by 7 am on weekends and 3 pm on weekdays, or in the event of changing weather conditions.
- Do not use the fields in wet conditions, even if you have a field permit.
- Fields are closed based on the recommendation of Department of Parks and Recreation maintenance staff. Closures apply to both practices and games.
Gymnasium Cancellations (Games and Practices)
- In the event of inclement weather, basketball and other sports leagues will operate under the M-NCPPC Department of Parks and Recreation closure policy. Games will be cancelled only if community centers are closed. If Prince George’s County public schools are closed or dismissed early or after-school activities are suspended, Department of Parks and Recreation programs taking place in schools may be affected.
- It is the coach’s responsibility to call the Sports Weather Line at 301-927-0822 to learn the status of games. If the games are cancelled, coaches are to notify their players/parents.