Mount Calvert's archaeological resources span 8,000 years of human
culture. Evidence uncovered by archaeologists show that American Indians
were present from the Archaic Period (7500 to 1000 BC) through the
Woodland Period (1000BC to 1600AD). Over the years the Indians exploited
the rich resources of the Patuxent River and established villages along
An English colonial town was established at Mount Calvert in 1684.
The town became the Prince George's County seat in 1696 and was re-named
Charles Town. In 1721, the county seat was moved to Upper Marlboro and
Charles Town gradually disappeared. From 1770 until the Civil War, Mount
Calvert was a typical Southern Maryland tobacco plantation based on
A Confluence of Three Cultures
A 1780s plantation house is all that remains and now serves as a museum featuring an exhibit called A Confluence of Three Cultures.